Monday, July 28, 2008

Dr. Phil should really do his research (or hire someone to) (April 1, 2008)

Now I remember why I don't watch Dr.Phil. I haven't watched it, save a few episodes at the beginning to see what it was about. Todays episode was about MRSA infections (or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). I watched it hoping it would be accurate. These are my complaints:
1. Minor, but its not pronounced "mersa". How irritating. It's M.R.S.A.
2. It is NOT a virus. WTF. Can't they get at least that part right? WOW
Essentially it is a strain of staph infection (read: a BACTERIA) resistant to anti-infective agents, whose actions are based on blocking the enzyme that inactivates penicillin. Also to cephalosporins, etc.
3. It is not the "flesh eating disease". They might not have come right out and said this, but it sure sounded like they were implying it was.
This infection can of course grow if not diagnosed properly or treated properly, and yes it is difficult to treat. The risk with this, as with any infection, is that minor infections or cuts our bodies can treat on their own (puss is a good thing!), with our own defenses, but sometimes if its a big enough infection we need antibiotics for it. Since many do not work against this resistant infection it can impact the body more severly. If the infection takes over the body then it can cause the body to go septic and then septic shock-cardiac arrest etc. can occur (worst case scenario). But your not going to have body parts falling off. sheesh
4. The lady who said "They still have not told me much about it, and people are coming in with biohazard suits, but my family is not"
Why don't people understand that THEY are responsible for their own health. This society has become SOO dependant on doctors, nurses, pharmasists, the whole health care system to do and fix everything. And everyone I know who works in those fields does as best as they can. Our jobs are to make people as informed as we can, and if we ask if there are anymore questions and the answer is no, what more can we do. But if I am sick or anyone in my family is I will research what it is, the internet is a wonderful resource, as long as you remember to look for medical sites. I will not sit quietly and expect that I've been told everything. Ask questions so you ARE told everything. We all need to have trust in health care professionals, but we can't do everything without some help from the person who is sick. You can't help yourself if you don't understand what is going on with your own body. Ask what your medications are, ask what the illness is, ask what meds are being given to you and why you're recieving them. Its not offensive if that's a concern, its good for us too. I make a point to tell people what meds I am giving them, because I don't get asked. Or try to explain their diagnoses if they appear to not understand.
phew. k I feel better now.....no more "Dr". Phil for me.

No comments: